Thursday, February 19, 2009

Vacation!

This week I find myself on Manisota Key, which is right between Sarasota and Ft. Meyers, Florida. My parents, aunt, and uncle had planned a week-long getaway over Christmas break, and they were gracious enough to let me escape work and join them. We're staying in an amazing condo that is right on the gulf, and thus far I've had a great time beach-walking, sunbathing, exploring, eating way too much, and even fishing!

Here around the Gulf and Intercoastal, sea kayaking is all the rage. I've seen beautiful kayaks strapped to the roofs of cars and available for rent at local marinas, and one of these days, I'd absolutely love to try it! There are great canals and islands to explore along the Intercoastal waterway, and to be able to paddle next to manatees and dolphins....what fun it would be!

Here in Florida, there is an incredible department store, Beall's, in which things are always on sale. I've taken full advantage of this. I've bought three pairs of quick-dry, zip-off pants, two quick dry sun shirts, and three pairs of zip-off pants for my boyfriend, who requested them after hearing what a rediculous deal they were. Needless to say, I think I'm set on camping clothing now!

On a silly note, my dad is reading a book by one of my favorite authors, Carl Hiaasen. When he pulled the book from his bag, he noted, "Hey Mer...it's you!". I had to laugh....brunette girl in her red kayak, complete with snake and mosquitos. If only I could grow my hair that long. Even more amusing - the title of the book is "Nature Girl". In the past, I've gone by the nickname of "Nature Mer", so I'm really enjoying the book cover.

It will be tragic leaving the 70s and 80s of Florida and returning to the cold and snow of Michigan, but that's life, and hey....Spring is coming....I know it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment