Sunday, March 1, 2009

New & Notable

Spring is coming! The geese and sandhill cranes have returned, the skunks are on the move, and the bulbs in my garden are starting to come up. The temperature is still fridgid and snow flurries are haunting us, but gosh darn it, it's March 1st and I can just feel the days getting longer day by day....

The wonderful boyfriend and I had a great experiment this week. We cleared out the furniture in the upstairs loft of my random house so we'd have enough room to set up the new tent! As expected and just like my old REI tent, set-up was a breeze, and the new tent is SWEET! There is plenty of room for the two of us, with a bit to spare. Though it's advertised as a three-person tent, it'd have to be a third person that we really, really, like. I'll just be happy with plenty of space for me and my guy for now.....

On Saturday, after catching a movie, aforementioned boy and I decided to scout out the one point on a possible Huron River day trip that has me concerned - namely, concerned about whether the boyfriend (a new paddler) can get through one stretch alive. This point of concern is the "Delphi Rapids", listed as class I-II, which are just before you get into Ann Arbor. The water is pretty high due to the recent melt, but even with the heavy flow of water, I think we can handle it. Towels and an extra set of clothes will certainly be packed in a dry bag in the back of my kayak, though! As soon as the air is warm enough, we're hoping to hit the stretch of the Huron River from Hudson Mills to Ann Arbor Metroparks - a good (and supposedly lovely) day's paddle - hopefully in late April or early May!
I'm starting to look seriously at a new PFD.....it's time.....especially if I'm going to dump in little class II rapids....

No comments:

Post a Comment