Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kayaks are on the Water!


This Sunday marked the first paddle of 2009! It was a gorgeous day with temperatures in the upper 60's, and I couldn't wait any longer to get a special guy in a kayak for the first time.

Unfortunately, much of our time was spent driving to the other side of the lake, finding my second kayak (which was mistakenly moved there this Fall), and lashing it to the roof of my car. Some good did come of this when we tested to see if my second 'yak will fit in the car. It does! This is a great thing, seeing as I hope to drive both kayaks out to Ann Arbor this Spring. Now I know that one can fit inside, while the other is lashed on top.

By the way, I still stand by my assertion that my car looks quite sexy with a kayak strapped to its roof.
When we finally got on the water, it was time for kayaking 101. I didn't have to teach a whole lot because the pupil was a quick study. The biggest issues were maintaining a straight course on open water (which is hard to do in the stable, yet "waddling" Keowee kayak) and keeping water from dripping onto one's legs. Other than that, it was a fun, quick trip, complete with a photo opportunity Bruce's Landing.

The best news of it all? He wants to go kayaking again, so despite my best efforts, I did not traumatize him. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment