Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Wishlist

This weekend I was supposed to be in Ann Arbor, spending quality time with a very awesome guy. Unfortunately, the flu has struck with a vengence and I am on self-imposed house arrest for the weekend, fighting fever, hacking cough, aches, and all the fun that comes with the flu.

In my boredom, I've been knitting, planning spring paddling trips (my first two destinations - the Huron and Dowagiac), and looking longingly at gear that I wish to purchase. In this spirit, I have compiled a list of gear that I would like for my paddling adventures.

#1 - REI Taj 3 Tent

I absolutely adore the one-person tent I got at an REI garage sale two years ago. My current tent is solid as a rock, water tight, and has served me well on several paddling trips. Even in the worst of weather, it hasn't failed me. But it truly is a one-person tent, and with the hopes that I'll have a tentmate come spring (the boyfriend claims he'd love to try overnight paddling trips), I'll need a bigger tent. This tent is rediculously on sale at REI Outlet, it has glowing reviews, and I am so tempted to buy it an the footprint that goes with it. A big purchase, but a practical one, I think. Every year I have one "frivilous" buy with a portion of my tax return. This may very well be this year's purchase.

#2 - A New Paddling PFD

My current PFD, which I've had since high school, is in horrible shape. The fabric is torn and mildewy, the straps are worn, and all in all, it's not very safe anymore. There are so many great and exciting options in PFDs nowadays! The best thing I've found, thus far, is that several women's paddling vests now have built-in cups to accomodate large busts, as opposed to the usual squashing and squishing of past PFDs. As a well-endowed paddler, I'm beside myself with joy to discover this new innovation. It's about time. I'd like one with good pockets in the front (for storing maps, knife, and other tools) and mesh, at least on the sides, for ventilation. The MTI PFDiva and Stohlquist BetSEA are top contenders.

#3 - Primus TechnoTrail II Stove with Ignitor
I was so jealous of Brett's MSR "Pocket Rocket" on a previous trip! I have a two-burner Coleman stove currently. It is huge and totally inconvenient to take on a trip. I always borrow Nate's stove when we're actually on the river, and I think it's high time to get my own. I looked at the MSR, Brunton, and Coleman models of this type of stove, and from the reviews I've read, the Primus has much larger and more supportive arms for holding up a pot than the other models, yet it still folds down to the same size as its competitors. This is another rediculously on sale item that I'm chomping at the bit to purchase. May have found a good cheap one on Ebay.

#4 - A good cookpot/mug
My "el cheapo" mess kit is awesome for basic dining, but I would like a sturdier container for boiling water and cooking up my meals. I really like this cookset, it's only $20, and I think it'd be a fine purchase. They nest together and have their own storage sack....a good addition to my dining kit, I think....

No comments:

Post a Comment