Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Review of REI Taj 3 Tent - Special Buy

Originally submitted at REI

Offering luxurious living quarters, the REI Taj 3 is a three-season, three-person backpacking tent that won't weigh you down.


Fantastic Tent!

By Nature Mer from Ann Arbor, MI on 6/16/2010

 

5out of 5

Gift: No

Pros: Waterproof, Easy To Set Up, Sturdy, Fly Works Well, Windproof, Comfortable

Describe Yourself: Casual/ Recreational

What Is Your Gear Style: Comfort Driven

I graduated to the Taj 3 when my boyfriend starting tagging joining my friends and I on overnight paddling trips. My previous tent was the REI Clipper, which I still adore, but in my search for comfort and roominess (and as much as I adore my significant other), space-wise, it wasn't going to work. I purchased my Taj 3 from REI Outlet over a year and a half ago, and thus far, it has not disappointed!

Like my previous REI tent, this sucker is absolutely bomb-proof. Torrential downpours and thunderstorms....still not a drop of water inside this tent. We have noticed that on our early spring and late fall trips, with nighttime temps dropping into the 30s and 40s, we tend to get a bit of condensation inside of the rainfly. It's never enough to get the tent soggy, but did require that we hang up the fly to dry out as we enjoyed breakfast. On our last paddling trip in late May we disovered the small velcro vent at the top of the tent. After setting this up properly, the condensation issue seemed to really improve. I guess that's what happens when you use parts of the tent properly for once!

For the two of us, this tent is PERFECT! We have lots of extra room for our small drybags and other gear we like to store at night, and the side pockets and great for extra storage. As silly as it may seem, the mesh "loft" at the top of our tent is one of my favorite parts - it's perfect for tossing our headlamps, eyeglasses, and other items that need to be readily accessible. The two doors (or as we call them, the "his and hers doors") are much appreciated. When one of us has to get up in the middle of the night or early in the morning, it's so wonderful to be able to exit the tent without scrambling over and waking up the other person inside.

I really value this tent and when a friend was looking for a new tent for he and his wife, I immediately recommended this one. A great tent at a very reasonable price!

Me & the Taj 3 - Manistee River, May 2010

thumbnail

Tags: Using Product, Picture of Product

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment