Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Review of REI Clipper Tent - '09 Special Buy

Originally submitted at REI

This 2-person REI Clipper tent is perfect for 3-season backpacking and bike touring—revised floor plan fits 2 standard sleeping pads without overlap.


A Trusted Paddling Companion

By Nature Mer from Ann Arbor, MI on 6/16/2010

 

5out of 5

Gift: No

Pros: Comfortable, Lightweight, Easy To Set Up, Sturdy, Waterproof, Fly Works Well, Windproof

Best Uses: Wilderness Paddling

Describe Yourself: Casual/ Recreational

What Is Your Gear Style: Comfort Driven

I picked up this tent at one of the infamous REI "Garage Sales" for half its original retail price. It had been returned because it supposedly had a hole in it....after much searching and taking it on a 3-night paddle trip, I finally found a tiny pin-hole near the door. A little tent tape and that problem was quickly resolved (and well worth the small investment I made purchasing this great tent!).

This tent has served me well on several multi-night canoe/kayak trips in a variety of conditions. The Clipper has made it through thunderstorms, hail, and torrential downpours, and not once has it leaked on me. After practicing a few times, the setup is a breeze, and speaking of breezes, with the rainfly off, this tent is stellar on hot days by the river! The ventilation is a major plus, and when taking early spring and late fall trips, the rainfluy really helps to keep heat in as well.

I like to joke that though this tent is designed for two people, you have to really, REALLY like the other person to share. I've always used mine as a solo tent, and it has just the right amount of space for me and my gear. When my boyfriend joined in on the camping fun, I graduated up to a Taj 3 tent (which I also adore), but this lil' guy will always have a special place in my heart.

If you're looking for a fantastic, bomb-proof one person tent, grab these before they're gone. It's a shame it's been discontinued, as I think this is a really fantastic little tent!

Tent on the left - Manistee River

thumbnail

Tags: Using Product, Picture of Product

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment